The last Wired issue, had some great topics it brought up... If you don't normally subscribe, I would pick up this one issue.
Neither I'll pretend to be an expert on, they were just the type of articles to get you thinking... Aren't those the best?
One piece challenges the way we should be perceiving autistics. Its really interest as it discusses several ways to measure intelligence, it also illustrates societal problems in coping with differences.
Another piece talks about Nixon's approach to trying to end the Vietnam conflict. Basically by making the US appear imbalanced and capable of anything, in an attempt to worry the Soviets. The interesting part of this article is it illustrates situations in which politics goes beyond traditional thinking, in order to make the most out of a scenario, using "game theory" to help determine actions. FYI... Gut feeling is that I still don't like this means of politics, even handed appeals to humanity and common sense would be the approach that I would think you would do better with in the long term... Its easier to leverage people around you when you are stable. If you are a pillar of isolation, you can bully around and appear instable and of course others will move, but they will not align to that.
-Bill
Tuesday, February 26, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Thanks! This was very interesting and I will also be blogging about it.
I have no problem with the idea of their personhood.
But, I do have a problem with some of her comments regarding communication.
For example, try this thought experiment: Say you are dropped into Iceland. Would you eventually learn the language? Yes. Say you were dropped into a community of autistic persons. Would you be able to learn their language? Is it far less clear. In fact, can they learn each other's language?
Well, personally the main take away I had was on how to measure people that have "disability" in one form or fashion. In many areas, we find that people that have "disability" are better in other areas than the norm, so its interesting that as society we have trouble appreciating alternative ways of thinking/abilities.
I totally agree, that in essence its harder for a autistic person to function in a society where the majority isn't, but what minority doesn't have problems... Also note that Auties/Aspies have their own circles, which does lend some creedence to the fact, they relate to one another.
yes, i hope to address those two points:
1. autistic == homosexuality w/r/t being a minority. i think there is very little in common between these two minorities.
2. when/where do they relate? over the internet? eg. through text!?? if so, then that almost strengthens the point that if they had their own community *physically* they would still not be relating. that is speculation, but you have to be careful about what community you are asserting they have.
Re1: The relation I would make between autism and homosexuality (was this in the article?) is they both seem at least predominantly genetic fundamental, immutable, behaviors in a person.
Re2: For an interesting contrast, perhaps you should study many of the Scandanavians... From being from that decent, my mom once made me watch a show called "Tango Finlandia" turns out Fin's are somewhat -> very introverted... Is this really that different (sure its a bit more extreme). I think just because people don't communicate as openly as we do, doesn't mean they can't have community, or relate to one another.
W/r/t differences. I think there is a difference between "normal" and "autistic". If you want to play the shade of gray game, does that include being dropped into a group of whales, dolphins, and/or chimps?
The point of being dropped into Finland w/o knowing the language would be that everyone has the same language. Why is this at all the case with autistics?
I think we are going to need to save this for lunch... Cuz, I think we are having 2 different conversations here.
I really want to answer your last post with my first, and you know where that gets us...
Us "normal" people can barely relate over the comments in a blog... Maybe we aren't so different.
Post a Comment