A lot of tomatoes got pulled off the shelves because nobody had any idea where they came from (they knew Florida/New Mexico based on the time of year), but as far as what farms things were coming from, they had no idea (still didn't when I checked last).
Not long ago, we had a spinach scare, and we have had mad cow scares.
It seems to me, that if we bought more fresh produce locally, this wouldn't be a problem. You would know that 3 people that subscribed to Joe's CSA got sick. Outbreaks would be contained (since food isn't getting shipped to all parts of the country) All of a sudden, everybody would stop buying from Joe and he would go outta business for running a shoddy business. Somebody would come in and clean up the joint.
Let me know what you think?
P.S. as of this writing I still don't subscribe to a CSA, but I have narrowed my search down to a couple possibilities I have to call up. (Also need to run it by the wife :))
Thursday, June 19, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment